It is the moment you have all been waiting for: showdown time at The Valspar Championship. In case you are new to the format, typical Showdown GPPs on DraftKings offer upwards of $50,000 to first place for second-and third-round tournaments, and sometimes even up to $100,000 for the final round. They also provide weekend-long contests that offer $15,000 to first place on average. Let’s take a look at PGA DFS picks for Round 3 of The Valspar Championship.
Round 3 PGA DFS Picks: The Valspar Championship
Previous Round Recap
Max Homa did exactly what I said he would do, going out and setting the pace, getting to 10-under at one point. Unfortunately, a couple of late bogeys pushed him back to -8, where he and Lucas Glover would sit after 36 holes. Sungjae Im and Joaquin Niemann would also get close, but finishing bogeys for each of them would put the pair a couple of shots behind the pace set by Homa and Glover. The pair’s score of eight-under wouldn’t last long, though, as Keegan Bradley would birdie his first hole to tie the lead from the afternoon wave.
Before we move, though, a couple of other notables from this wave include Charl Schwartzel and Tom Lewis, both of who shot one of the low rounds of the day with 65.
I just mentioned Bradley getting to that eight-under number quite quickly, birding 10. He would also birdie the 11th to take the lead at nine-under and wouldn’t go backwards. Bradley would be caught by Sam Burns, who continues to put himself into the mix this year, and maybe this will be his breakthrough weekend. Charley Hoffman is in the mix yet again, with another solid round on Friday, and sits just four back of Burns and Bradley. Bubba Watson and Corey Conners also bounced back with solid rounds today.
Quick Stat Recap for Round 2:
There were a good number of golfers that we’re able to gain strokes in all four facets of their game today. Those that did are:
- Keegan Bradley
- Sam Burns
- Lucas Glover (actually didn’t gain or lose putting, so maybe this shouldn’t count)
- Max Homa
- Charley Hoffman
- Sungjae Im
- Tom Lewis ‘
- Bubba Watson
- Bo Van Pelt
- Charles Howell III
- Scottie Scheffler
- Alex Noren
PGA DFS Showdown Picks: Slate Preview
The first tee time is still TBD, but we can probably expect to see them start around 8 am EST.
Fantasy Golf Contest Preview
- DraftKings is offering $25,000 to first and $100,000 guaranteed for the third-round slate and 5,000 to first for the weekend-long slate.
The Valspar Championship PGA DFS Picks
Both Bradley and Burns set the 36-hole scoring record for the event and, for some reason, the course is playing much easier in April than it is in March. I don’t suspect that’ll change much over the weekend, as weather and conditions are set to remain ideal for golf. Scores in the morning were slight better again overall, so look for some early-morning players to rise up the leaderboard on moving-day Saturday.
PGA DFS Picks for Round 3 of The Valspar Championship
- Justin Thomas ($10,500): There’s no way Thomas is going to lose another six strokes putting in two rounds, right? He’s looked much better than DJ over the first two days, but yet is behind him on the leaderboard. That just goes to show how cold Thomas is with the putter. Nevertheless, he’s one of the best in the world for a reason, and I want to try and get behind Thomas when he goes out on the early side tomorrow, and maybe he’ll have his lowest ownership of the week.
- Scottie Scheffler ($8,900): It was a nice bounce-back day for the young Texan, who looked good from the second hole on. An eagle on 11, which was his second hole, propelled him to a solid 67 in Round 2, and that’s with a few hiccups along the way. Scheffler wi’ll go out nice and early, and he might even be paired up with Thomas, so maybe they can build on each other’s momentum.
- Keith Mitchell ($7,400): Mitchell could have gone so much lower today, but a couple of questionable shots kept him close to the cut-line all day. He would squabble in with a one-under 70, his second straight round at that score, and now he’s onto the weekend. That should set up nicely for Mitchell tomorrow, to go out on the early side and sew up some of those mistakes, and post a low round that keeps things reasonable.
Sneaky PGA DFS Pick for Round 3
- Scott Stallings ($6,600): As a big fan of this course, with his last Top-10 finish coming here, Stallings has the magic formula needed to win: a hot putter and iron game. If he can put the ball in play off the tee a bit more over the weekend, Stallings could find himself in the Top-10 at this course for the second time in as many starts.
DraftKings and FanDuel Fill-Ins for Valspar Championship
- Paul Casey ($9,300)
- Brandt Snedeker ($7,300)
- Joaquin Niemann ($9,200)
- Kevin Na ($8.000)
Looking for more DraftKings and FanDuel PGA DFS Showdown picks content? We have loads of fantasy golf articles, data, DraftKings, and FanDuel cheat sheets. Plus more on the Awesemo PGA home page.
PGA DFS Ownership Rankings
PGA DFS Ownership Projections (FREE TODAY)
PGA DFS Rankings for DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo, and FantasyDraft
Fantasy Golf: PGA DFS Projections for SuperDraft
PGA DFS Projections for Showdown and Weekend Daily Fantasy Golf
Top Golfers Tool – PGA DFS Simulation Results for DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo, FantasyDraft, and SuperDraft
Fantasy Golf: PGA DFS Projections for DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo, and SuperDraft
📽️ The PGA DFS First Look Strategy Show: PGA Championship DraftKings + FanDuel Picks