On Thursday, the questionable summertime weather produced a delay with some storms in and around the golf course. Nevertheless, the PGA DFS action is just getting started as Showdown contests take center stage. Bryson DeChambeau and the rest of the field will continue to take advantage of soft conditions and make some noise on a golf course that is prime for scoring.
PGA DFS Showdown Picks: Rocket Mortgage Classic Round 2
Previous Round Recap
It didn’t take long for the birdies to start flowing, as members in the first groups were able to take advantage on the first few holes. The play would go on for about four and half hours, with the first groups just finishing before the horn blew to suspend play. When they came to a halt, Brandon Hagy and Davis Thompson were tied for the lead at seven-under. Eventually, Thompson would best Hagy by shooting a course-record 63 to go nine-under and grabbing a two-stroke lead heading into Friday. The average score for the wave was just shy of 70, over two strokes under par.
Seamus Power continued his great form, shooting 66 in Round 1 while gaining strokes in all four facets of his game. Jason Day found a way to get done by crawling around the golf course, shooting a five-under 67. Also carrying momentum from last week was Kevin Kisner, who gained strokes across the board in Round 1 en route to a five-under 67. Hank Lebioda also carried the momentum forward from last week but did so with just his putter and iron game, gaining over four strokes in those two facets. Matthew Wolff and Si Woo Kim are a few of the other big names that played well on Thursday. Both guys were incredibly hot with their irons, gaining over three strokes on the day.
For those that went all-in on DeChambeau, it was quite the rocky start. He dropped two bogeys in his first three holes after learning of a caddy firing/quitting after tee-off. Normally that shouldn’t affect play all that much, but Bryson is a big head case. We all know that. It didn’t get all that much better as his approach game from under 90 yards was horrific today.
The bright spot for the afternoon wave was Joaquin Niemann, who looked lost on the green last week at The Travelers. He must have found something over these last three days prior to today because almost everything went down, gaining well over three strokes. Troy Merritt would continue his run of good form, gaining almost four strokes on the day to shoot a 67.
There are 28 golfers still on the course, with the most holes remaining for a group being four.
Latest PGA DFS Content
- The First Cut: Hero World Challenge PGA DFS Picks & Preview for DraftKings & FanDuel Fantasy Golf Lineups
- The Winning Element: RSM Classic PGA DFS Picks, Ownership & Rankings | Scottie Scheffler
- DraftKings Cheat Sheet: PGA DFS Picks This Week for The RSM Classic | Webb Simpson
- PGA DFS: Yahoo Cup Round 7 Picks for the RSM Classic
- FanDuel Cheat Sheet: PGA DFS Picks This Week for The RSM Classic | Jason Day
- Awesemo DFS on Youtube
Round 2 Cut Prediction
After the storms rolled through, it came with a spot wind and pushed the scoring average up to 1.7-under par for the day. However, with 50 or so golfers between -3 and -1, I suspect the cut will easily get to -4 or -5.
Round 1 Stat Recap
Although stats are a bit incomplete, here are the top three golfers in each strokes-gained category at the end of the day.
Strokes Gained Tee to Green
- Patrick Rodgers
- Seamus Power
- Talor Gooch
Schauffele projects as the fourth-highest on the slate, with 36.76 points. Click here to view the full field.
Strokes Gained Off the Tee
- Chris Kirk
- Davis Thompson
- Matthew Wolff
- Tom Lewis
Strokes Gained Approach
- Grayson Murray
- Davis Thompson
- Hideki Matsuyama
- Si Woo Kim
- Chris Kirk
Strokes Gained Around the Green
- Ted Potter Jr
- Tyler Duncan
- Roger Sloan
Strokes Gained Putting
- Joaquin Niemann
- Troy Meritt
- Patton Kizzire
PGA DFS Showdown Picks: Slate Preview
8 a.m. EST
Fantasy Golf Contest Preview
- DraftKings is offering $20,000 to first place and $70,000 guaranteed for the second-round slate.
Rocket Mortgage Classic PGA DFS Picks
The scoring was noticeably easier in the morning, by almost half a shot. I suspect that will condense a bit tomorrow. Regardless, I’ll be looking for a few golfers that struck the ball well in Round 1 but couldn’t make anything on the day.
PGA DFS Picks for Round 2 of The Rocket Mortgage Classic
- Jason Kokrak ($9,400) Coming into the week ranked inside the Top-5 in strokes-gained putting on the year, Kokrak really struggled on the greens today. A few short misses, a few three-putts, and that was enough to spoil his solid day of ball-striking. Kokrak did gain just about four shots on the day. I’m not sure if he’ll do that again tomorrow, but the course should be in good enough shape to make a move up the leaderboard.
- Doug Ghim ($7,800): While I do like Ghim quite a bit for tomorrow’s round, there are a few other golfers in his price range that I’d rather play tomorrow- Maverick McNealy and Lucas Glover are among the list. Through 16 holes, Ghim hasn’t recorded a shot around the green. Crazy enough, it’s one of the first times I’ve seen a no record for the stat. Nevertheless, Ghim did hit his irons well, gaining almost two strokes in Round 1. He’s one of 28 golfers still left on the course, so he could wind up getting some better looks around the green.
- Kramer Hickok ($7,200) It may be against conventional wisdom to go out and roster a golfer that did most of his work on the greens in Round 1. For Kramer, though, he’s got the momentum and solid putting touch going for him, Hickok will be on full display again tomorrow morning paired up with Dechambeau. Hickok will need his irons to return to form if he wants to put together another solid round. It’s hard to rely on almost two strokes putting per round to beat the field.
Sneaky Pick for the Round 2 Showdown
- Beau Hossler ($7,100) No need to hop off the train now as the Hossler locomotive continues to churn. He’s working on back-to-back Top-20s for the first time in forever. Now, after a great start to the first round, Hossler has a chance to make it three straight this week. He is one of the golfers left on the course, with a 36-footer for birdie on 17. Beau will be able to have a warm-up hole in before he starts his second round.
Thanks for reading to the end of this article! If you appreciate this free content and want to see more of it every day, you can help us out by sharing this article on social media!
The Yahoo! PGA DFS projections, the PGA DFS showdown projections for DraftKings and the DraftKings DFS PGA ownership projections for today are made and used by Alex Baker, the No. 1 DFS player in the world. Looking for more the best PGA DFS picks and PGA DFS picks? PGA DFS rankings for this week will be posted at least a day in advance of any tournament.
PGA DFS Ownership Rankings
PGA DFS Ownership Projections
PGA DFS Projections for Showdown and Weekend Daily Fantasy Golf
Top Golfers Tool – PGA DFS Simulation Results for DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo, FantasyDraft, and SuperDraft
Fantasy Golf: PGA DFS Projections for DraftKings, FanDuel, and Yahoo
The First Cut: Hero World Challenge PGA DFS Picks & Preview for DraftKings & FanDuel Fantasy Golf Lineups
PGA DFS Rankings for DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo, and FantasyDraft
Fantasy Golf: PGA DFS Projections for SuperDraft