This column is a quick-hitter article to give you the data to make informed PGA DFS picks for your DraftKings and FanDuel daily fantasy golf lineups. Alongside the data, we will also provide a few player recommendations for round three of The Masters. There is plenty of PGA DFS action available at Augusta, even if you missed the main slate. DraftKings will offer upwards of $50,000 to first for rounds two and three showdown slates. Sometimes even up to $100,000 for the final-round contest. They also provide weekend-long contests that have frequently been offering $25,000 to first place. FanDuel has also tried to get into the weekend-long and final-round contests, offering $10,000 and $5,000 to first in GPPs.
A Discount Unlike Any OtherIt's Masters week, and the tradition unlike any other is falling on a nontraditional portion of the calendar this year. Despite the 2020 craziness, Awesemo is giving you 50% OFF an Awesemo+ Platinum Weekly subscription by using promo code AUGUSTA. With the Platinum Weekly package, you'll get premium access to EVERY sport and receive Alex "Awesemo" Baker's fantasy projections, rankings and ownership projections. Sign up now, promo code AUGUSTA expires on Friday, Nov. 13th.
PGA DFS Preview: The Masters Round | DraftKings + FanDuel
Previous Round Recap
After finishing up their first round at about 9:30, the morning wave turned right around and was back on the course within 20 minutes. Dustin Johnson looked poised to go deep into the weekend, starting off three-under-par through his first four holes. At his best point in the day, Johnson reached ten under for the tournament. After that, he went cold and was only able to get it to nine under par through two rounds, tied for the lead with a few others from that morning wave. Cameron Smith is one of those who almost had an albatross on the 15th hole today and rode that to a good finish. Smith’s Presidents’ Cup teammate Abraham Ancer also shares the lead at nine-under. Joining them from the morning wave at nine under is Justin Thomas, who had a bad start to his round but rebounded quite nicely.
Morning Wave Continued
Patrick Cantlay continued his hot form after winning in his last start. Cantlay is just one back from the lead at eight under, along with Sungjae Im, who seems to have figured out how to putt this week at Augusta; go figure. Several other notables that are within two of the lead include three Englishmen: Justin Rose, Tommy Fleetwood & Danny Willett.
The afternoon group made it through more holes on Friday than they did on Thursday, finishing on an average of 12 holes per player. That should leave just over two hours of round two action tomorrow morning. Because of this, we should see a round three start time around 10:00 a.m. With that timeframe and a two-tee start, we should have no problem getting in 18 holes for the entire field. Hopefully this will provide a better fantasy golf experience with everyone finishing on the same day.
Jon Rahm & Hideki Matsuyama have gotten to eight-under, while Rahm has a short to get to nine-under on 13. He has a great chance to set the pace heading into round three.
PGA DFS Slate Preview | DraftKings + FanDuel
Lock is currently scheduled for 7:00 a.m. but will almost definitely be closer to 9 or 9:30, assuming DraftKings and FanDuel update it, which I’m sure they will.
- $50,000 to first and a $200,000 guaranteed prize pool for the third round fantasy golf showdown slate.
- $25,000 to first and $100,000 guaranteed prize pool for the weekend-long slate.
- $10,000 to first and a $40,000 guaranteed prize pool for their third-round fantasy golf showdown slate. (Note: FanDuel’s single-day PGA DFS contests are listed separately under SPGA)
- $5,000 to first and a $25,000 guaranteed prize pool for their weekend-long slate.
General Strategy and PGA DFS Picks for the Masters
Scoring remained strong today, but the Augusta greens are certainly getting some of their bite back, as the cut has trended toward even or one under all day. With record scoring early there was a point at which it seemed like the cut would settle as low as two-under-par, which would be the lowest cut ever at Augusta. As the course dries out, fairways should become less relevant than they were early on Friday but they will still be a more important factor than we expected pre-tournament.
PGA DFS Picks: Golfers Inside the Current Top 10:
With so many studs to choose from, ownership will likely spread in the mid to low 20% range for all of them. With Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson and Jon Rahm – assuming he gets to nine under – all above Patrick Cantlay on the leaderboard, he could see slightly less popularity than some of the others, which is how I will play it. Accordingly, Cantlay is my pick for the third round.
It’s hard not to like almost all these guys up here right now, so trying to project ownership and leverage will be paramount
PGA DFS Picks From Outside the Top 10:
- Bubba Watson had a nice bounce-back round on Friday, putting up a three-under-par 69. The veteran certainly knows his way around Augusta and is no stranger to the pressure of the Masters, he could be in play for daily fantasy golf. Because he’s down the leaderboard a bit, I suspect he’ll garner lower ownership than some other big names. I’d like to take advantage of that on moving day Saturday.
- Cameron Champ had a bit of a struggle making the cut this week. He made a couple late bogeys to fall to even par, right on the cut line. He bounced back putting up two monster birdies to end his round. Therefore, Champ will take his driving prowess into the weekend. I’m comfortable going back here for the third round and beyond.
- Sebastian Munoz first two trips around Augusta National resulted in 12 birdies. That makes Munoz one of the tournament leaders in that category, and he sits just off the top-10 on the leaderboard. I’ll look for the form to continue over the weekend.
PGA DFS Lineup Fill-Ins:
- Rory McIlroy
- Rickie Fowler
- Jordan Spieth (if he makes the cut)
- Tommy Fleetwood
Looking for more PGA DFS picks content for The Masters? We have loads of articles, data, cheat sheets, and more on the Awesemo PGA home page. Just click HERE.
DraftKings4 weeks ago
MLB DFS Projections for DraftKings, FanDuel, SuperDraft, Yahoo, and FantasyDraft
DraftKings1 month ago
MLB DFS Main Slate Ownership Projections
DraftKings4 weeks ago
Awesemo’s MLB DFS Rankings
DraftKings7 hours ago
NFL DFS Projections: Projected Fantasy Points for DraftKings, FanDuel and Other Daily Fantasy Football Sites