Washington Football Team quarterback Alex Smith is one of the most inspirational football stories of all time. Smith famously worked his way back from a life-threatening leg injury in 2018, and came back to play above-average football this year.
60 Minutes did a story on Alex Smith last night that made his whole journey seem even more incredible.
“I didn't know whether I wanted to cheer or throw up. It scared me to death, but I just loved watching Alex achieve,” says Army surgeon Dr. Joe Alderete about watching quarterback Alex Smith play in his first game since his injury. https://t.co/ZlWEgW9SrR pic.twitter.com/N3ODqwA62S
— 60 Minutes (@60Minutes) January 18, 2021
Alex Smith’s doctor (who works with amazingly athletic Army personnel) said that he has only seen a handful of patients make a full recovery from similar injuries. Wow.
Many felt that it would make sense for Alex Smith to hang it up this offseason. He has nothing left to prove, after all. Smith hinted that he isn’t quite ready to stop playing football, though.
“This year has only emboldened me that I can play at this level,” Smith said on 60 Minutes.
Alex Smith on 60 Minutes: "This year has only emboldened me, that I can play at this level."
— Nicki Jhabvala (@NickiJhabvala) January 18, 2021
- James and the Giant Tax Bill; Harden to Pay $13M After Trade
- Colin Cowherd Wants Nick Saban to Get an NFL Head Coaching Gig
- Jimmy Butler Peer Pressured into Drinking Wine for the First Time
- Watch the Emotional Moment on Steelers Bench Following Playoff Loss
- Man Smashes His Own Television After Engaging Steelers Loss
- Superstar Third Baseman on the Trade Market?
- Johnny Manziel Was Barred from XFL by Vince McMahon
Sure, why not. Alex Smith proved that he’s good enough to win football games. If Washington moves on from Smith he’ll find a home somewhere else. He’s almost the perfect backup quarterback. A guy that can come in, execute, be a leader, and win. What more can you ask for?
If Alex Smith doesn’t want to retire, then all the power to him. I’ll always be rooting for the guy.