The “Barcagate” scandal appears to be headed for a conclusion.
Today, police raided Camp Nou, the home of F.C. Barcelona, and arrested a couple of employees, including former team president Josep Maria Bartomeu. ‘Barcagate’ started after there was speculation that the club was paying for trolling social meida accounts to attack the “enemies” of Bartomeu. Of those enemies were current star players Gerard Pique and Lionel Messi.
According to a report by The Athletic, Bartomeu and his contingent paid an unspecified amount of team funds to ensure the smear campaigns of any person against them. Charges stemming from such actions could include ‘false accounting’ or ‘misuse of club funds’.
Barcelona released a statement on Monday.
“FC Barcelona have offered up their full collaboration to the legal and police authorities to help make clear facts which are subject to investigation.
“The information and documentation requested by the judicial police force relate strictly to the facts relative to this case.
“FC Barcelona expresses its utmost respect for the judicial process in place and for the principle of presumed innocence for the people affected within the remit of this investigation,” the statement read.
It is not clear at this time what the specifics behind the arrest of Bartomeu is. However, it looks like we’re reaching a climax to the entire ‘Barcagate’ scandal. What comes next is anybody’s best guess.
- Gronk Goes to Disney World is the Most Clickable Headline of the Year
- Tom Brady is a Fanatic About Winning; Leonard Fournette Has Proof
- Mariota Reclamation Project in New England? Patriots Reportedly Eyeballing Quarterback
- Super Bowl Streaker Bet on Super Bowl Streaking
- Two Teams Reportedly Interested in Carson Wentz Trade
- Bronny James Reveals Torn Meniscus Diagnosis
- Courtside Karen in LeBron James Incident Apologizes via Instagram
- What Was Actually Said in LeBron James vs Courtside Karen Incident