Johnny Manziel and Todd Gurley confirmed what everyone already knows, college athletes get paid. A report was circulating through the web this week that part of the reason why Tennessee fired coach Jeremy Pruitt was because the program was filling McDonald’s bags with cash and giving it to recruits. Classy, I know.
After these reports surfaced, former South Carolina running back Mike Davis took to Twitter to complain that he never got paid in college.
“I wish I got paid in college lol y’all boys out here snitching smh,” Davis wrote.
I wish I got paid in college lol y’all boys out here snitching smh
— IG MikeDavisRB (@MikeDavisRB) January 19, 2021
Todd Gurley responded to Davis, telling him that all he had to do was sign some memorabilia and he would’ve been compensated.
Should’ve sign some memorabilia 😂 https://t.co/E6yuNuKWCA
— Todd Gurley II (@TG3II) January 19, 2021
Johnny “Money” Manziel also chimed in.
— Johnny Manziel (@JManziel2) January 20, 2021
- Bruce Arians Fires Shot Across Patriots’ Bow
- Did MJ Cut Anthony Anderson Off Following Golf Defeat?
- Peyton Manning to Play Key Role in Tennessee Alma Mater’s Search for Head Coach
- Tiger Tales: Rachel Uchitel Details Alleged Affair
- Surprise Team Showing Deshaun Watson Interest?
- James and the Giant Tax Bill; Harden to Pay $13M After Trade
- Colin Cowherd Wants Nick Saban to Get an NFL Head Coaching Gig
I think Mike Davis is doing just fine for himself now. The running back took over as lead back in Carolina for most of the season after Christian McCaffrey went down early with an injury. Davis filled in nicely, and will likely get a big contract this offseason.
As for Manziel? He’s scheduled to play in some sort of “Fan Controlled Football League” starting up later in the year. Sure, I’ll watch. But that kind of sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.