Max Homa was living out his dream on Sunday.
The PGA golfer grew up in California, and remembers going to Riviera Country Club to watch PGA events growing up as a kid. Today, he was able to win the Genesis Open at that very country club. Homa remembers idolizing Tiger Woods throughout his childhood, so when he received the trophy from him today, he couldn’t contain himself.
“I spent over a dozen years trying to get Tiger to give me a high 5 at Riviera and today he handed me a trophy hahaha what a world,” Homa wrote on his Twitter.
I spent over a dozen years trying to get Tiger to give me a high 5 at Riviera and today he handed me a trophy hahaha what a world! #golf
— max homa (@maxhoma23) February 22, 2021
- Gronk Goes to Disney World is the Most Clickable Headline of the Year
- Tom Brady is a Fanatic About Winning; Leonard Fournette Has Proof
- Mariota Reclamation Project in New England? Patriots Reportedly Eyeballing Quarterback
- Super Bowl Streaker Bet on Super Bowl Streaking
- Two Teams Reportedly Interested in Carson Wentz Trade
- Bronny James Reveals Torn Meniscus Diagnosis
- Courtside Karen in LeBron James Incident Apologizes via Instagram
- What Was Actually Said in LeBron James vs Courtside Karen Incident
Max Homa ended up winning the tournament in the second hole of a playoff against Tony Finau. He had a three-foot putt for the win prior to OT, which he missed. Maybe Homa just wanted to create a little more tension before winning at the course he grew up going to.
Max Homa revealed what he said to Tiger Woods after the victory.
“He told me, ‘Way to hang tough’ after I missed that putt on 18, and I told him I was embarrassed I missed a shortie in front of the most clutch athlete ever,’’ Homa said via The New York Post. “That was a surreal moment. I have looked up to Tiger my entire life, and to be standing anywhere with him let alone with the trophy in between us was pretty cool.’’
What a cool story. Like many kids Max Homa grew up watching Tiger Woods. Now, he’s earned the respect of his idol. Gotta love it.