After Brian Kelly ditched Notre Dame before a potential trip to the College Football Playoff, many speculated that the team would turn to young defensive coordinator, Marcus Freeman, to take over the mantle.
And if the speculation from insiders wasn’t enough, Kelly even hinted at Freeman being his successor in an interview before the season.
Brian Kelly Hinted At His Successor In An Old Interviewhttps://t.co/Q9Zd8D8h28
— SideAction (@SideActionHQ) November 30, 2021
Sure enough, it’s being reported on Wednesday night that Notre Dame is set to announce Marcus Freeman as their next head coach.
Notre Dame DC Marcus Freeman is expected to become the next head coach at ND, per source. The move was first reported by @mickassaf.
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) December 2, 2021
Trending from Side Action
- Washington Football Team’s Potential New Name Leaked Again
- Aaron Rodgers, Shailene Woodley to Have Wedding on Super Bowl Sunday?
- Rachel Bush Goes On Twitter Rant After The Bills Lost In OT To The Chiefs
- A-Rod’s New Girlfriend He Brought to Packers Playoff Game Has Been Identified
- Devin Booker’s Girlfriend Kendall Jenner Posts Tiny Bikini, Fur Boots in the Snow Epic Thirst Traps
- Awesemo DFS on Youtube
Marcus Freeman came over prior to the season after holding the same role with the Cincinnati Bearcats. And he’ll now have one of the most prominent jobs in football.
Not only was Notre Dame able to keep the head coaching hire in-house. But after speculation that OC Tommy Rees would join Brian Kelly in The Bayou, it’s being reported that he’ll also get a nice raise to stay right where he is.
— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) December 2, 2021
With Marcus Freeman and Tommy Rees in place, Notre Dame will likely be able to hold on to a great number of their current players and recruits for next season and beyond.
And now the question becomes: can Freeman fill the big shoes of Brian Kelly?