Toronto will shortly be the new home to a $500 million arena that will be built primarily for esports. The new arena, which rivals the Death Star in Vegas for looking like a spaceship, is set to be finished in 2025. It will be the home of OverActive Media’s Overwatch League and Call of Duty League franchises, the Toronto Defiant and Toronto Ultra respectively. OAM, which launched in 2017, has also fielded teams in the League of Legends European Championship, Rocket League, Starcraft, and Smite. Check out a plan for the stadium below.
"This best-in-class performance venue will be the chosen home for a new generation of fans that think differently about their entertainment choices and experiences.”
– @chrisoverholt https://t.co/NRXCrnqlg4
— OverActive Media (@OverActiveMedia) February 22, 2021
- Gronk Goes to Disney World is the Most Clickable Headline of the Year
- Tom Brady is a Fanatic About Winning; Leonard Fournette Has Proof
- Mariota Reclamation Project in New England? Patriots Reportedly Eyeballing Quarterback
- Super Bowl Streaker Bet on Super Bowl Streaking
- Two Teams Reportedly Interested in Carson Wentz Trade
- Bronny James Reveals Torn Meniscus Diagnosis
- Courtside Karen in LeBron James Incident Apologizes via Instagram
- What Was Actually Said in LeBron James vs Courtside Karen Incident
Populous, a global design firm, has been hired by OverActive Media to design the facility which plans to host more than 200 events a year. This includes everything from concerts, to corporate events, to esports.
“It has always been our intention to develop a venue and hosting strategy and to build a facility that could not only serve as an iconic home for our two franchises, but ultimately emerge as a global hub for major international esport events,” said OverActive president and CEO Chris Overholt.
OverActive Media, the owners of the Splyce esports org, has raised $21.5 million over three rounds of funding, according to CrunchBase, and the company’s lead investor is three-time Grammy winner The Weeknd.
It’s safe to say this is an enormous project. Overholt definitely has a vision for something great here. It’s hard for me to fathom it at this point in time. But it seems like all the pieces are in play to get the project rolling. Look out Jerry World, Toronto is making big moves.