From one tough test to another, the PGA Tour’s new schedule puts up back-to-back weeks where the courses are much harder than average. This week, the Tour heads northeast to the Charlotte, area for the Wells Fargo Championship. Played at a major-level course – Quail Hollow – the tournament always brings in big names. PGA DFS contests are also quite sizable, which always makes for a great week of cash games, tournaments and the need for finding the best PGA DFS picks for our DraftKings and FanDuel lineups. For those new to the article, here’s what it will include:
- Tournament and Format
- Course Commentary
- Course Facts and Figures
- PGA DFS Course Summary and Statistical Comparison
- PGA DFS Preview, including sweat sheet and optimal lineups from last year’s event
- Player Preview
PGA DFS Picks: The Wells Fargo Championship
There are many famous courses in the Carolinas, including Pinehurst and Myrtle Beach. Professional golf tournaments have been coming to the area since the 1950s, and those tournaments are typically held around this time of year. The Wells Fargo Championship has been at Quail Hollow since 2003.
The Course: Quail Hollow Golf Club
This will be a major-level test for golfers this week. Quail Hollow sets up as a par 71, the same as last week, but it is a bit longer and wider, and the rough is a tad less penal. Nestled in the Carolina Forests, Quail Hollow is most known for hosting the 2017 PGA Championship, which was won by Justin Thomas. The course itself has been around since the late 1950s, and it has been the primary host for this tournament since 2003.
Course Facts & Figures
Par and Yardage
- Par 71: 7,554
- Stroke average was 72.32 (1.32 over par) in 2019, the fifth hardest on the PGA Tour.
- Four par 3’s: 167, 249, 208, 223
- 11 par 4’s: 495, 452, 583, 449, 346, 505, 462, 456, 344, 506, 494
- Three par 5’s: 546, 592, 577
Latest PGA DFS Content
- PGA DFS Showdown Spotlight Picks for DraftKings and FanDuel | Round 3 of The AT&T Byron Nelson Classic
- DraftKings Cheat Sheet: Round 3 Showdown PGA DFS Picks for the AT&T Byron Nelson Classic | Jon Rahm
- PGA DFS: Showdown Spotlight Picks for DraftKings and FanDuel | Round 2 of The AT&T Byron Nelson
- The Winning Element PGA DFS Picks, Player Pool & Allocations for the AT&T Byron Nelson Classic
- DraftKings Cheat Sheet: PGA DFS Picks for the AT&T Byron Nelson Classic | Jon Rahm
- Awesemo DFS on Youtube
Grass Types and Hazards
- Grass Type: Champion Bermudagrass
- Average Green Size: 6,500 square feet
- Water Hazards: 4
- Bunkers: 61
- Rough Length: 2 inches
- George Cobb/Tom Fazio
Statistical Notes for Quail Hollow Golf Club
- Off the Tee: The fairways were the eighth toughest to hit in 2019, with the average coming in just shy of 56%. However, many drivers are hit here, as the average driving distance is ranked fifth on the PGA Tour.
- On the Approach: Greens in regulation were also down, coming in around 60%, one of the 10 toughest on tour.
- Around The Greens: One would think that scrambling would be a bit easier with tough-to-hit fairways and greens, but it isn’t. Golfers only got up and down for par 56% of the time last year.
- On the Greens: Putting on these champion Bermuda greens isn’t that difficult — 20th in 2019.
The Wells Fargo Championship PGA DFS Slate Preview
There is a normal set of offering this week with the top prize on DraftKings being $200,000.
PGA DFS Sweat Sheet for Quail Hollow Golf Club
The three par 5’s on the course this week will get somewhere between 35 and 40% of the total scoring. Then there are two shorter par 4’s, the eighth and 15th, that add another 20% to that. Difficult holes remain outside of those.
Wells Fargo Championship Player Preview
The last major to be held at Quail Hollow was the PGA Championship, and while that major is just a few short weeks away, this field isn’t quite as good as what Kiawah Island will host. It is pretty strong, though, featuring seven of the world’s top 10 players and 11 of the top 20. After taking the last three weeks off, Rory McIlroy and Bryson DeChambeau return to the course after having less-than-stellar performances at The Masters. Jon Rahm will be looking for his first win since last year’s Memorial Tournament, as will Xander Schauffele.
- 2019: Max Homa
- 2018: Jason Day
- 2017: Justin Thomas (PGA Championship)
- 2016: James Hahn
Follow us on all of our social channels! Check out our Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube for more great Awesemo content. Looking for more PGA DFS picks content? We have loads of articles daily fantasy golf, data, DraftKings and FanDuel cheat sheets and more on the Awesemo PGA DFS home page.
PGA DFS Ownership Rankings
PGA DFS Ownership Projections
Fantasy Golf: PGA DFS Projections for SuperDraft
PGA DFS Projections for Showdown and Weekend Daily Fantasy Golf
Top Golfers Tool – PGA DFS Simulation Results for DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo, FantasyDraft, and SuperDraft
Fantasy Golf: PGA DFS Projections for DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo, and SuperDraft
PGA DFS Showdown Spotlight Picks for DraftKings and FanDuel | Round 3 of The AT&T Byron Nelson Classic
DraftKings Cheat Sheet: Round 3 Showdown PGA DFS Picks for the AT&T Byron Nelson Classic | Jon Rahm