It is the final week of the regular season. After this week at the Wyndham Championship, only the top 125 golfers in the FedEx Cup standings will move on. From there, only three events remain to crown a season-long champion, and those matchups will provide some of the biggest PGA DFS action and DFS golf contests to date for DraftKings and FanDuel. For those not making the playoffs, things can get murky quickly. Golfers ranked 125 through 200 have some status on the tour, but they will need to head to the Korn Ferry Tour Finals to retain full status, where linksmen who place in the top 25 of a three-tournament series will earn a PGA Tour card.
The field this week is relatively strong, even with only one golfer ranked inside the top 10 scheduled to tee it up, as the field gets its strength with 37 entries ranked in the world’s top 100.
In case you are just joining us and trying out PGA DFS for the first time, here is what you can expect to see in this article:
- Tournament and Format
- Course Commentary
- Course Facts and Figures
- PGA DFS Course Summary and Statistical Comparison
- PGA DFS Preview, including sweat sheet
- Player Preview
Wyndham Championship PGA DFS Preview and Picks
Even as the schedule changed, Wyndham kept its enviable status as the last spot before the playoffs. It is named after sponsor Wyndham Hotels and Resorts since 2007, and the Greensboro area has hosted the event for over 80 years. Sedgefield Country Club has been the host since the beginning but has relinquished its hosting duties several times over the 80 years but not since 2008.
Sedgefield Country Club Preview
A similar version to last week’s TPC Southwind, Sedgefield is a par-70 course without much length. It typically plays as one of the 10 easiest on the PGA Tour each year, with winning scores approaching 20 under. With easier-than-average fairways to hit and not many hazards on the course, there are not that many big numbers to be had.
Par and Yardage
- Par 70: 7,100 yards
- Four Par 3’s: 174, 223, 235, 175
- 11 Par 4’s: 442, 428, 423, 374, 416, 440, 486, 403, 406, 507
- Two Par 5’s: 529, 545
Grass Types and Hazards
- Grass Type: Bermudagrass
- Average Green Size: 6,500 sq. ft.
- Water Hazards: 13
- Bunkers: 48
- Donald Ross
Statistical Comparison for Picks
- Off the Tee: Driving accuracy averages around 65% year in and out. That is a shade easier than the average PGA Tour stop, and there is not much advantage for distance either here.
- Approach to the Green: With wide fairways, large greens and short rough, greens are extremely easy to hit this week; the average for the week is close to 75%.
- Around the Green: The rare time a golfer misses the green this week, the opportunity to get up and down for par is about 65%, which is easier than average.
- On the Green: If everything else is easy, something must be difficult. As it goes with Donald Ross golf courses, the greens are tricky, earning a spot as one of the 10 toughest for putting.
Latest PGA DFS Content
- The Winning Element: RSM Classic PGA DFS Picks, Ownership & Rankings | Scottie Scheffler
- DraftKings Cheat Sheet: PGA DFS Picks This Week for The RSM Classic | Webb Simpson
- PGA DFS: Yahoo Cup Round 7 Picks for the RSM Classic
- FanDuel Cheat Sheet: PGA DFS Picks This Week for The RSM Classic | Jason Day
- RSM Classic Data & Stats | PGA DFS Picks for DraftKings & FanDuel Lineups
- Awesemo DFS on Youtube
PGA DFS Sweat Sheet and Slate Preview
With only two par 5’s on the course, both reachable by nearly every golfer in the field, it is no surprise to see those two holes make up about 30% of the scoring.
Wyndham Championship PGA DFS Player Preview
With 37 of the world’s top 100 here, the meat of the field is in the middle. Up top Louis Oosthuizen is still searching for his first-ever PGA Tour win. As surprising as that may be, he will take his league-leading putting stats into a course where good putters have always flourished. Webb Simpson will be returning to a site that has provided him and his family a lifetime of memories and dollars. Patrick Reed and Hideki Matsuyama also add a touch of class to the field of four golfers ranked inside the top 20 here to compete.
FedEx Cup Standings 110-150 and Commentary
Anyone can tee it up in a week and win. Approximately 25 golfers are currently outside of the top 125, and getting to that qualifying ranking will not happen without a win this week. It is a sliding scale, as the above chart suggests what a golfer must do this week to assure a spot in next week’s playoff event. Some huge names are hanging around the bubble line coming into this week, including Tommy Fleetwood, Rickie Fowler, Justin Rose and Francesco Molinari.
For the first three on that list, something inside the top 10 should assure them a spot in next week’s event, but Molinari will need his first top-five of the year to move on in the playoffs.
- Davis Thompson — In six starts since turning pro back in June, Thompson has earned five paychecks, missing just one cut. Five of those six starts have come on the PGA Tour, including last week’s Barracuda Championship.
- Alex Smalley — A Walker Cup participant back in 2019, Smalley had the misfortune of graduating into a pandemic, which limited his playing chances for almost a year. Smalley finally got a breakthrough at the Corales Puntacana Championship last year, where he tied for 14th. He backed that up with a tie for 22nd at the same event this year. Since then he has been playing on the Forme Tour. In the last five events of that tour he has two top-fives, another 13th-place finish and just one missed cut in five starts.
- John Augenstein — Augenstein has had a tough go of it in his early career, only making one cut so far. Granted, it was in his last start at the Charles Schwab Challenge.
Thanks for reading to the end of this article! If you appreciate this free content and want to see more of it every day, you can help us out by sharing this article on social media!
The DFS PGA projections, the PGA DFS showdown projections for FanDuel and the DraftKings PGA DFS ownership projections for today are made and used by Alex Baker, the No. 1 DFS player in the world. Looking for more FanDuel PGA DFS picks and PGA DFS picks for Yahoo!? DFS PGA rankings for DraftKings will be posted at least a day in advance of any tournament.
PGA DFS Projections for Showdown and Weekend Daily Fantasy Golf
Top Golfers Tool – PGA DFS Simulation Results for DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo, FantasyDraft, and SuperDraft
Fantasy Golf: PGA DFS Projections for DraftKings, FanDuel, and Yahoo
The Winning Element: RSM Classic PGA DFS Picks, Ownership & Rankings | Scottie Scheffler
DraftKings Cheat Sheet: PGA DFS Picks This Week for The RSM Classic | Webb Simpson
PGA DFS: Yahoo Cup Round 7 Picks for the RSM Classic
FanDuel Cheat Sheet: PGA DFS Picks This Week for The RSM Classic | Jason Day
PGA DFS Ownership Rankings