This column is a quick-hitter article to give you the stats you need to make informed PGA DFS picks for your DraftKings and FanDuel daily fantasy golf lineups. We’re in search of a few recommendations for the third round of the Sony Open. In a typical Showdown GPP, DraftKings will offer upwards of $50,000 to first place for second- and third-round tournaments, and sometimes up to $100,000 for the final-round contests. They also provide weekend-long contests that have been offering $25,000 to first place on average. FanDuel has also tried to get into the weekend-long and final-round contests, offering $10,000 and $5,000 to first place in their PGA DFS Showdown contests.
Sony Open Round 2 PGA DFS Showdown
Previous Round Recap
With a few studs leading, or close to it after round one, I fully suspected we’d get a leader somewhere around thirteen or fourteen under, but Joaquin Nieman and the other leaders failed to advance past -9! Webb Simpson has shot back-to-back 65s, which gets him to 1o-under, the best score for this wave. Stewart Cink also joins Webb, as he had the best round of the day shooting a seven-under 63, and has himself in position again!
Lastly, from this wave, a foursome of studs sits at -9, overnight leader Niemann, Collin Morikawa, Marc Leishman and Hideki Matsuyama, who had a blistering finish to his round after opening up three over through four.
Simpson’s lead stood all the way to 10:18 Eastern Standard time, until Nick Taylor took the lead at -11, and birdied the last to get to -12 and leads by two over quite a few golfers. Russell Henley was one of the first golfers out in the afternoon wave, and even though I decided to fade him this week, he doesn’t care. He’s got a newer putter in the bag, which seems to be working for him, and he’s got another chance to win here in Hawaii.
Vaughn Taylor has found some form here over the first few days, as he was able to get to -10 as well. The other overnight leader Peter Malnati had a crazy round, going from five-over at one point in the round, battling all the way back to shoot one-under. However, the round of the day came from this wave and was shot by none other than Keith Mitchell, whose eight-under 62 was the round of the day and ties the low for the week, along with N.Taylor. Chris Kirk also got to that 10-under number very late in the day.
Latest PGA DFS Content
- 📽️ The PGA DFS First Look Strategy Show: Arnold Palmer Invitational DraftKings + FanDuel Picks
- 📽️ Daily Fantasy Golf Player & Course Preview: Arnold Palmer Invitational | DraftKings & FanDuel
- ⛳ The First Cut: Arnold Palmer Invitational DraftKings & FanDuel PGA DFS Picks & Preview l 2/28
- ⛳ PGA DFS Picks: WGC Workday Round 4 Showdown Picks for DraftKings & FanDuel l Billy Horschel 2/28
- ⛳ PGA DFS Picks: WGC Workday Round 3 Showdown Picks for DraftKings & FanDuel l Brooks Koepka 2/26
- Awesemo DFS on Youtube
With book-end par 5s at Waialae, it was sure to provide some fireworks. This time it went by way of the chalk as Kevin Kisner was the biggest name to sing a twenty-foot eagle putt to make the weekend. Others weren’t so lucky, like Roger Sloan & Takumi Kanaya missing that same length of putt. That pushed the 6/6 % to nearly 25% for the week! Nice work there.
— Cut Sweats (@CutSweats) January 16, 2021
PGA DFS Showdown Picks: Slate Preview
12:10 p.m. EST
Fantasy Golf Contest Preview
- DraftKings is offering $10,000 to first and $50,000 guaranteed for the third-round slate and a 5K to first for the weekend-long slate.
- FanDuel is offering $1,000 to first and $5,000 guaranteed for the weekend-long slate.
General Strategy and Sony Open PGA DFS Picks
Iron play is the key this week, as the rough isn’t penal at all, so even if you miss it, the second shot is more important. Although Taylor stretched his lead to two, there’s still a ton of golfers in this tournament. In fact, if you just made the cut this week, you’d only be eight back. If someone at four under goes out tomorrow morning and shoots 62, the low of the week, they’d be able to jump all the way up the board.
Brendan Steele ($7,200)
For the second straight year, Steele finds himself in the mix at the Sony Open. While course history is debatable, it certainly seems that if Steele’s iron game is in shape, the course does seem to fit his game. He’s gained thru the bag in the first two rounds, including .89 off the tee and .67 on his approaches.
PGA DFS Picks Outside the Top 10
- Collin Morikawa ($10,000): I’m pushing this button again. When we see his irons get into form, it’s rare that they come out of it in the same tournament. He’s also looked decent on the greens while missing a good number inside of ten feet, but his irons are just so good that he’s giving himself quality looks on every hole.
- Hudson Swafford ($7,000) Last week out in Maui, Swafford had a couple of round where he got hot with the irons and a few others that he did with the putter. Well, that trend is continuing this week, and likely is going under the radar at this point with how many big names there are up top.
Sneaky Fantasy Golf Pick for Round 3 of the Sony Open
Robby Shelton ($6,500)
Typically I’m not particularly eager to bet on someone needing their irons to get hot, but I’m going to do that here. The reason is pretty simple, he gained over a stroke on his approaches in round one, so it’s not like he’s far off. I wrote him up as a fill-in last night, and today he gets the promotion after a good Friday. Even though he may not make a lot of cuts, when he does, he’s normally finishing in the top 25.
DraftKings and FanDuel Sony Open Lineup Fill-Ins
- Hideki Matsuyama ($9,200)
- Peter Malnati ($7,800)
- Lanto Griffin ($7,700)
- Nick Hardy ($6,300)
Looking for more Sony Open PGA DFS Showdown picks and daily fantasy golf content? We have loads of fantasy golf articles, data, DraftKings and FanDuel cheat sheets, and more on the Awesemo PGA home page. Just click HERE.
📽️ The PGA DFS First Look Strategy Show: Arnold Palmer Invitational DraftKings + FanDuel Picks
📽️ Daily Fantasy Golf Player & Course Preview: Arnold Palmer Invitational | DraftKings & FanDuel
⛳ The First Cut: Arnold Palmer Invitational DraftKings & FanDuel PGA DFS Picks & Preview l 2/28
⛳ PGA DFS Picks: WGC Workday Round 4 Showdown Picks for DraftKings & FanDuel l Billy Horschel 2/28
PGA DFS Ownership Rankings
PGA DFS Ownership Projections
Fantasy Golf: PGA DFS Projections for SuperDraft
PGA DFS Projections for Showdown and Weekend Daily Fantasy Golf